[mlpack] GSOC 2017: Reinforcement Learning

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 2 08:27:13 EST 2017

Hello Sahith,

> My name is Sahith N D. I'm an undergraduate engineer in my sophomore year from
> BITS PIlani, India. I am interested in doing the Reinforcement Learning Project
> in mlpack. I've done previous projects in general machine learning and am
> currently doing a project based on reinforcement learning to train an agent to
> learn and win at certain board games like Scotland Yard.

That sounds really interesting, do you use your own model to solve the tasks?

> I've already done a course on reinforcement learning by David Silver form
> DeepMind. I have used OpenAI gym for this course so I have some experience in it
> already. I would be grateful if you could tell me anything else that I need to
> learn for this project. I would also like to start working on some issues so it
> would be great if you could point me in the right direction.

A basic understanding of OpenAI's gym toolkit is definitely helpful, note that
we have written a wrapper so that the toolkit can be used from within C++. Also,
to be successful at this project, you should have a good knowledge of
reinforcement learning; i.e., you should be familiar with the way agents are
typically built and trained, and certainly, you should be familiar with the
individual components that you plan to implement.

There are some easy issues on GitHub that you might find interesting, we will
see if we can add more in the next days. Besides that, since you like to work on
the reinforcement learning project, maybe you like to implement an simple agent,
that is capable of solving some simple tasks; Policy Gradients is a simple
method that is really powerful and also quite intuitive. Don't feel obligated,
you don't have to solve issues or implement anything to be considered for the
project, but it's an easy way to dive into the codebase.

I hope this is helpful, let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Marcus