[mlpack] Application for Google Summer of Code 2017

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Thu Mar 2 09:38:36 EST 2017

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 03:04:51PM +0400, Irakli Popkhadze wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Irakli Popkhadze, second year Math and Computer Science (MACS) student
> at Free University of Tbilisi. I have a huge desire to work on one of your
> projects "Fast K-centers Algorithm & Implementation". To be honest with you
> I do not have much experience in machine learning but that is what I want
> to dedicate myself to. Why do I think that I am capable of doing this
> project? Because I have been competitive programmer for about 7 years
> already, (you can see my profiles at various programming sites) so this
> gives me a strong background in problem solving and algorithms (coding as
> well). Also I have finished Phyisico-Mathematical school that gave me a
> strong background in mathematics which continued developing during my
> studies at Free University of Tbilisi. I am really interested in this
> project, I am not afraid of difficulties, I think I can handle this
> project. Looking forward to your reply
>
> Promised links of my profiles:
> Hackerrank <https://www.hackerrank.com/irakli_p> - O(1) rank
> Codeforces <http://codeforces.com/profile/irakli_p> - Div 1 participant
> Codechef <https://www.codechef.com/users/irakli_p> - I haven't participated
> for a long time, but still
>
> Also I'm attaching my resume

Hello Irakli,

Although I do live in the U.S. state of Georgia, I have never traveled
to the country of Georgia.  I hope to have the opportunity someday;
Tbilisi looks like a beautiful place to visit. :)

The fast k-centers algorithm has been discussed at length on the mailing
list before:

http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2015-February/000610.html
http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2014-March/000330.html
http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/002494.html
http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/002635.html

Note that there are many more posts on this in the mailing list archive
to search for; those are only some places to get started.

A good proposal for this project will demonstrate a clear understanding
of dual-tree algorithms and will already have an algorithm proposed (or
mostly proposed) to solve the k-centers problem.

I hope this is helpful; let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thanks,

Ryan

--
Ryan Curtin    | "Weeee!"