[mlpack] [GSoC 17] Boltzmann Machine

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 6 09:53:11 EST 2017

Hello Skand,

thanks for getting in touch.

> Among the topics given on the wiki page, I am interested in implemening spike
> and slab RBM. I have done a course in Advance Machine Learning and am familiar
> with the basics of Boltzmann Machine and RBM.  I wanted to ask you from where
> should I start.

My recommendation is to start with the references given in the project
description, each paper also has some useful references that are really helpful.
In fact, to be successful at this project, you should have a good knowledge of
deep learning; i.e., you should be familiar with the way deep neural networks
are typically built and trained, and certainly you should be familiar with the
individual components that you plan to implement.

> I don't seem to find any previous implementation of RBM (Correct me if I am
> wrong. I did search through but didn't find it.)

Do you mean you couldn't find an mlpack RBM implementation?

> I have previously worked in Convolutional Neural Networks by doing a project on
> detecting Distracted Driver and was successfully able to implement it.

Sounds interesting based on images/video? I wonder what dataset you used to
train the network, would be interesting to hear more about the project.

> I am currently going through the slab and spike rbm. It would be of great help
> if you can guide me to start.

A good place to start is by working through the mlpack tutorials and making sure
you can get mlpack to compile and understand how to use it. If everything works
we can discuss some ideas how to improve the project or add new features.

Is that helpful? If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Marcus