[mlpack] GSoC 2017 : Alternatives to k-NN

Manolis Gemeliaris gemeliarismanolis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 16:19:39 EDT 2017

Hello ,

I am Manolis Gemeliaris , an undergraduate student at the Informatics
Engineering Dpt. at the Technological Educational Institue of Crete.

I am really interested in contributing to mlpack and starting with GSoC
2017. I am always excited to study new ml techniques and applications and
keep learning.  I have only some experience in C++ , wouldn't call me a
professional C++ programmer. But I'm willing to dive in and also read
literature about any topic related to ML algorithms.
Regarding ML in general I've implemented K-means and Apriori algorithms in
Java , for the course I had in Machine Learning and Data Mining.

One of the projects that caught my interest is "Alternatives to
neighborhood-bases collaborative filtering" and I would like to participate
with it in GSoC.

As for the "recommendation systems" , I had a course "Knowledge Systems" ,
where I developed a Knowledge System for reccomending travel destinations
according to the user's "needs" in SWI-Prolog.

I would like your suggestions on how to get started and how to later write
a good proposal for the application.

Thanks in advance.