[mlpack] Interested in Contributing to mlpack (GSoC)

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 13 12:34:31 EDT 2017

Hello Aparna,

welcome and thanks for getting in touch!

> I wanted to know the skills that I need to acquire in order to work on the
> Essential Deep Learning modules that is listed in mlpack's gsoc ideas page. What
> does working knowledge of neural networks exactly mean?

To be successful at this project, you should have a good knowledge of deep
learning; i.e., you should be familiar with the way deep neural networks are
typically built and trained, and certainly you should be familiar with the
individual components that you plan to implement. My recommendation is to start
with the references given in the project description, each paper also has some
useful references that are really helpful.

Also make sure to search through the list archives for other messages about the
Essential Deep Learning project.

http://mlpack.org/pipermail/mlpack/

There is a lot of information that has been written about this project over the
past years.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Marcus