[mlpack] GSoC 2017 : Alternatives to k-NN

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Tue Mar 14 11:30:45 EDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 10:19:39PM +0200, Manolis Gemeliaris wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> I am Manolis Gemeliaris , an undergraduate student at the Informatics
> Engineering Dpt. at the Technological Educational Institue of Crete.
>
> I am really interested in contributing to mlpack and starting with GSoC
> 2017. I am always excited to study new ml techniques and applications and
> keep learning.  I have only some experience in C++ , wouldn't call me a
> professional C++ programmer. But I'm willing to dive in and also read
> literature about any topic related to ML algorithms.
> Regarding ML in general I've implemented K-means and Apriori algorithms in
> Java , for the course I had in Machine Learning and Data Mining.
>
> One of the projects that caught my interest is "Alternatives to
> neighborhood-bases collaborative filtering" and I would like to participate
> with it in GSoC.
>
> As for the "recommendation systems" , I had a course "Knowledge Systems" ,
> where I developed a Knowledge System for reccomending travel destinations
> according to the user's "needs" in SWI-Prolog.
>
> I would like your suggestions on how to get started and how to later write
> a good proposal for the application.

Hi Manolis,

Thanks for getting in touch.  If you are looking for how to get started,
these two pages may be helpful:

http://www.mlpack.org/gsoc.html
http://www.mlpack.org/involved.html

In addition, you can take a look at the list archives for previous posts
about this project:

http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/

Here is some example posts I found with a quick search:

http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/002591.html
http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/002578.html

Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thanks,