[mlpack] GSOC - 2017 self-introduction

Arkadiy Dushatskiy arcady27 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 21:18:02 EDT 2017

Dear developers, I am very interested in participating in GSOC-2017 by
working at one of your exciting projects.
     I am a student from Moscow State University, Faculty of
Computational Mathematics and Cybernetics, currently pursuing my 1st
year of a Master’s degree in Applied Mathematics and Informatics. My
main areas of interest areArtificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
The topic of my scientific research is GPU-accelerated neural networks.
It is focused on image recognition, I investigate how the architecture
of convolutional neural network and GPU characteristics affect the time
consumption of forward propagation for a batch of images. The main
technologies I use in scientific work are CUDA and cuDNN libraries (both
for C++) for programming neural networks and Python for results
visualization.

     I have experience with reinforcement learning tasks, for instance,
inspired by DeepMing articles, I trained neural network (using Keras
framework for Python) to play famous game Flappy Bird much better than a
human can, that's why I am very interested in GSOC project connected
with reinforcement learning. Also I participate in Kaggle competitions
and coded my own small library in Python with most useful functions,
such as cross-validation, parameters tuning and stacking models. So, I
am also interested in project about creating API for cross-validation
and models tuning in mlpack.

Thank you for your attention!